Friday, October 14, 2011

Rowdy's surgery

This morning we woke up at 5:15am and got ready and took Rowdy down to the ENT specialist surgery center for his surgery to get tubes in his ears, his adenoids removed, and a sinus flush. He was all smiles this morning! As he always does, drawing attention with his bubble of joy, giving high-fives, showing people his muscles,  being coy and playing peek-a-boo. I just love my little boy!!

Then it was time to say goodbye and let him go into surgery. I was sad that they didn't let us stay with him until they put him under anesthesia. :( I didn't want him to be scared, and I was sure that he would be scared without us in the room, even if for only 30 seconds before he was under. But alas, the nurse asked if he could walk and we said yes. She held out her hand, and Rowdy slid off my lap and took her hand, and our "big" boy waddled down that long hallway through those BIG double doors hand in hand with the nurse wearing his little baby hospital gown and a little diaper butt hanging out the back. He didn't even look back and before we knew it he was out of sight around the corner. I'd be lying if I didn't want to just start bawling right then and there, half anxious hoping I wouldn't hear him scream with fear at any moment, and half couldn't believe how grown up and brave my little one is.

Lance and I headed out to the waiting room to grab some coffee and find a comfy seat while we waited for the doctor to come through that door to let us know how everything went. Lance read a magazine while I watched Planet Earth on the television. Before we knew it, Dr. Allen walked through those doors telling us everything had gone great! The nurse followed shortly to tell us we could go back to recovery as they were waking him up. When we got back to recovery, we could hear him crying. One of the nurses was trying to contain our squirmy VERY strong little boy in her arms as he was flailing about. They said that he woke up quickly.

We were able to leave within the hour of him coming out of surgery, he was stable and VERY sad...just uncontrollable sobs. The nurses said that we should expect that as he comes off the anesthesia. Luckily, Lance and I have been through more serious surgeries with Rowdy before, so this, although we HATE to see Rowdy uncomfortable and sad, we are pretty strong. Monday consisted of just laying on the couch watching as many Sesame Streets in a row as were requested and enjoying mango sorbet for breakfast. We didn't leave the couch or stop snuggling him all day. He would periodically just start crying uncontrollably again...I'm sure it was sore and he was reliving the morning's happening all over again.

Luckily, by day two Rowdy seemed to be feeling better and better. Doc said that this age group tends to bounce back quickly. We hope that these tubes will keep him from having the 9 month cold with ear infections that he seemed to have FOREVER last year...and hope too that the removal of his adenoids will allow him to not sound like Darth Vadar anymore.

Thank you for all your prayers for our sweet little boy...he was a rock star!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rowdy you are SUCH a brave little man. Grandma CiCi is so proud of you. Can't wait to spend some one-on-one time with you this week; we are going to have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good! I am SO glad he is safe-and will be praying that he won't get a long cold again! That picture of him is so cute-I still can't believe how much bigger he looks from when I last saw him just four months ago!

    ReplyDelete